Unsung Heroes: Principal Mr. Schreier and Mr. Burch

2016 graduate Cameron Nagle, Mr. Burch, and Mr. Schreier were all on hand for the Polar Bear Plunge Challenge last year.

Marissa Panasiti, Unsung Heroes Editor

One-thousand people showed their support for local Special Olympics athletes by participating in the 2016 Polar Bear Plunge at Canoe Creek State Park on Saturday, February 6.

After taking the plunge, Mr. Schreier and Mr. Burch warmed up by the bonfire.

Among these large amounts of supporters were two very important figures in the Bellwood-Antis School District; Principal Richard Schreier and world cultures teacher Mr. Charlie Burch..

Through the Key Club advised by Mr. Burch, B-A students and faculty had the opportunity to contribute to the Polar Bear Plunge in one of two ways: donating money and doing the Chicken Dance, or plunging into the frigid water at Canoe Creek.

Those who were too afraid to plunge made a minimum $50 donation, and received a “Too Chicken To Plunge” t-shirt. However, no B-A resident will be revealing one of those shirts.

Deciding not to be “chicken,” both Bellwood faculty members joined the 500 people that jumped into the freezing cold water.

“I feel that the Special Olympics is a great cause, and I was inspired after watching the athletes compete at the PIAA state track meet last May,” says Burch.

Principal Richard Schreier admits he was nervous before taking the plunge.

“We were the ninth wave of people entering the water and many people successfully went in and got back out, so I felt a little more comfortable,” says Schreier. “Luckily the air temperature was up in the 40’s that day.”

After the cold water took their breath away, Mr. Schreier and Mr. Burch headed straight for the bonfire, and then to the locker room. After the plunge, free coffee, donuts, hot dogs, and other snacks were available to them.

“I am committed to having a better turnout and raising more money for next year,” says Mr. Burch.