Myers students grow from project-based learning

Christina Kowalski

Students at Myers recently hosted a wax museum, where students immersed themselves in a history project. It was one example of project-based learning.

Ali Wagner, Staff Writer

Last week Myers Elementary did a wax museum project, where students researched an important historical figure, studied their life and importance, and created a large poster summarizing the person’s life.

They also dressed as this person and spoke to an audience in the first person about this figure’s life.

It might seem like just another fun project, but it’s actually a great project-based learning activity.

Project-based learning is a teaching method in which students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to an engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge.

Our classroom environment has changed so much for the better.

— Ms. Lenhart

Third grade teachers at Myers Elementary has hosted the wax museum as a project based learning project. PBL (Project-based learning) is very beneficial to students, because they get to work with other classes and students and they learn how to appropriately give feedback to other students.

There is a lot of effort and work that goes into project-based learning for both the teachers and the students.

Teachers at Myers really like project based learning.

“It goes beyond the standards that are taught,” said third grade teacher and wax museum organizer Ms. Samantha Lenhart. “Our classroom environment has changed so much for the better.”

A child could do project-based learning by themselves, but it is better as a group.

“Project-based learning is easier and better when you’re working together,” said Mrs. Brittany Craine, who also organized the wax museum.

PBLs also allow teachers to learn more about the child as a person. Students have to do a lot of research and then be able to show that they learned something from their search. It develops their ability to work with their peers.

Another benefit of PBL is that students have a better attitude towards learning, and it makes students more engaged in their school work.  PBL builds success skills for college and career life.

“They get excited about it,” said Ms. Lenhart. “Students have gained a huge respect for each other.”

Many teachers have been involved in the design of PBL. At the beginning of the school year, some of the teachers volunteered for a pilot PBL project using a management and resource tool called GoQuest.

Myers Elementary School’s Principal really likes project-based learning, too.

“I am a proponent of project-based learning because of the benefit it has on student motivation, engagement and learning,” Myers Elementary Principal Mrs. Terri Harpster said.