The band needs your help!

Caroline Showalter, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis band has always been proud to travel in support of our Blue Devil Varsity Football Team, and are also proud of the educational opportunities they can offer to students during the school day.  Now they need your help!

The Bellwood-Antis band and marching band would like to purchase a Yamaha Marching Snare Drum and case, Yamaha Marching Tenor Drums and case, and a Bassoon.  The band is looking to pay for these instruments through the support and generosity of the community.

With more instruments, we can provide more students opportunities.

— Mr. Sachse

The band is the largest it’s been in ten years and continues to keep growing. It could reach a point that the band would have to turn students down because they wouldn’t have instruments for them to use, therefore making these instruments critical.  There are marching instruments that are too expensive for a family to purchase.

Each instrument that needs to be purchased will benefit the students.  The Bassoon will allow more students to participate in festivals on a less common instrument and more student opportunities for County, District, Region, and All-State band.  The marching drums will accommodate more students, and allow for older students to play more challenging and more educational parts.

“With more instruments, we can provide more students opportunities,” said Mr. Sachse.

The marching instruments will give tenth grade students a chance to move to a harder instrument, which will also provide a stronger educational experience.  The band only has one set of tenor drums, and if that person is sick or injured, the band won’t have a replacement that football game, and the music would then in turn be missing a key element.

Mr. Sachse said that next year holds a special situation.

According to Mr. Sachse, “Our tenor player, Tom Whiteford, is active in the fire company, and may be called upon to assist in an emergency.  If we had a second set of tenors, it would be easier for Tom to serve in an emergency knowing that we have person who doubles the part.”

A $1,400 tenor drum and a $1,000 snare drum is a first priority, for the band. Then from there, they are looking to purchase a $3,500 bassoon, and possibly a $350 keyboard for future years.  Finally, they are looking to replace our marching uniforms.  The marching band has been wearing the uniforms for fifteen years and they are only designed to last for ten years.  $12,000 is the anticipating purchase for a new setoff uniform jackets and placement pants during the 2016-2017 year.

The band appreciates any assistants, whether donate a complete funding for an instrument or partial.  Your name will proudly be announced at every football game for donating, whether an individual or business.

The band would also like to thank the Bellwood United Veterans, for being the first organization to donate towards an instrument purchase.

A second donation was given by the Durant Baker Inc Agency, State Farm Insurance.  Now the band can afford their first marching drum.