BETTER THINGS TO COME

March 12, 2021

Going forward, B-A is looking to be more inclusive of all students, not just those in adapted learning because, as Mrs. Elder points out, the benefits go both ways.

“I would love to see more inclusion,” said Elder. “Not just of kids in the special education program, but of all students. We all thrive when we can be our authentic selves. Students in this program are no different. I would love to continue building relationships and programs that foster those friendships.”

One key, Elder said, is overcoming the stigma of being different.

It just takes reaching out and starting a conversation to make it more familiar. We’re all unique in some way. And the world is full of beautiful and unique people.

— Mrs. Elder

“There’s this belief that people with disabilities are ‘too different.’ And sometimes different is scary,” Mrs. Elder said. “But I would say the best thing we can do is to get to know the people around us. The students that I work with and people like my uncle aren’t as different as we might think.”

Like all kids, Mrs. Elder said, her students like music and movies. They enjoy friendship and conversation.

“It just takes reaching out and starting a conversation to make it more familiar. We’re all unique in some way. And the world is full of beautiful and unique people. Being more inclusive just means opening yourself up to that beauty and embracing it,” she said.

In the end, Mr. Lovrich adds, everyone benefits from inclusion, not just those in special education.

“In regards to Life Skills students being in a regular physical education class, it gives them a chance to socialize with other students and learn from their peers. For the traditional education students, it gives them a chance to be with students they are not normally with and see how great the students in the Life Skills classes are,” Mr. Lovrich said. “Our society unfortunately has a negative stigma towards people who are ‘different,’ but we are all different and that is what makes us unique as people.”

For Mrs. McNaul, inclusion is easy; all one has to do is be a friend.

“Not treat them ‘like’ a friend, but ‘BE’ their friend,” she said. “Say ‘hi’ in the hall, invite them to a birthday party, sit by them in lunch, listen when they talk, call them after school… all the things you do with a friend. People are people, and we all have the need for inclusion and love from others. We all have struggles and we all learn different. I have had the privilege of seeing the brilliance in a mind that may not work the same as what we see as normal and that uniqueness has ‘value’ and should be celebrated, fostered, strengthened and that individual should feel a part of humanity as a valued member.”