Categories:

Written threat found in Middle School

Mention of bomb possession written in 5th/6th grade bathroom
B-A students spent about 40 minutes at Memorial Stadium on Tuesday while state police secured the middle and high school following a bomb threat.

Bellwood-Antis evacuated both middle and high schools on Tuesday after a bomb threat was found written in a middle school bathroom.

At about 12:45, the district requested via PA system for teachers to check their email, and soon after an announcement was made to evacuate by grade level.

Students were evacuated to Memorial Stadium to sit in the bleachers until Pennsylvania State Police arrived and conducted a thorough search of the building.

Once the building had been secured and authorities were sure the threat was a hoax, middle school principal Dr. Donald Wagner addressed both middle and high school students. He informed them that a threat had been found written on a stall door in a boys middle school bathroom, and  warned students of how serious the infraction is. He then said school officials will do everything they can to catch the culprit and asked students for their assistance should they know or hear anything about the situation.

Students remained outside until they returned inside the building at 1:22.

The school district sent an email to parents stating:

“This afternoon, the Bellwood-Antis Middle and High Schools were evacuated  due to a bomb threat. The schools were immediately emptied and thoroughly searched by BASD administration, school security, local police, and Pennsylvania  State Police. Only after confirming that everyone’s safety and security were assured, students returned to the schools and resumed their normal schedules. Please know that the Bellwood-Antis School District takes the safety of our students and staff as our top priority. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding during this time. If you or your child have any information regarding the person or persons responsible for this threat, please contact your building principal or the superintendent.”

Also on Tuesday, a similar threat was made to Penns Valley. A bomb threat was found written on a wall, causing the school to close for the day.

For B-A, it was the second bomb threat that resulted in an evacuation within a little more than a year. Students experienced a similar evacuation to the football field last September.

Earlier this year, B-A security addressed threats that were circulating in area schools. While in May, BASD dealt with a threatening man on campus. That situation resulted in a lockdown.