Softball steals Backyard Brawl

Terry McCaulley

Maddie Miller pitched a complete-game shutout in her first start since tearing her ACL.

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

After a devastating ACL tear early this year, senior Maddison Miller had her first start on the mound for the Blue Devil softball team yesterday.

Shrugging off Backyard Brawl intensity, Maddie only allowed one hit while striking out nine batters en route to a 1-0 victory over rival Tyrone in Tyrone in the Pink Game for breast cancer awareness.

“It was great being able to start pitching for my last regular season game,” Maddie said. “The fact that it was against Tyrone made it even better.”

Coach Jim Payne was impressed with Maddie’s toughness.

“In the face of a ton of adversity she stepped up and pitched a gem,” said Coach Payne. “She mixed her pitches well and kept the game close. Not too bad for a kid who was limping around on one leg three months ago.”

Six months ago if you had told me I would pitch against Tyrone and only give up one hit, I wouldn’t have believed you.

— Maddie Miller

Maddie, who tore the ACL after tripping on her shoelace at a tournament last fall, said she was happy with her recovery, as well.

“Six months ago if you had told me I would pitch against Tyrone and only give up one hit, I wouldn’t have believed you.”

After six scoreless innings Bellwood’s Sarah Kinsley was able to get on base in the top of the seventh with a bunt. It was then the shining moment for freshman Haley Schmidt, who knocked in the winning run with a single for the Devils.

B-A outhit the Golden Eagles six to one, but struggled moving runner.

The ladies improve to 10-9 on the year and will face Conomough Valley in the first round of the District 6 AAA playoffs on Monday.