SPOTLIGHT ON STAFF: Sidney Patterson

Sidney+Patterson

Sidney Patterson

Name: Sidney Patterson

Age: 18

What do you do for the Blueprint? I am the Editor in Chief of the BluePrint. With this I edit stories of my fellow staff writers and review the site for improvements. Aside from that, I still write stories for the Lead, and this year I started making weekly newscasts with our multi-media editor Kaelynn.

What do you enjoy about Blueprint? There’s a lot to enjoy about BluePrint. I love having the opportunity to learn more about the Bellwood-Antis community and being able to share that with our readers. I enjoy getting to advance my writing capabilities, and helping my fellow staff members to do the same with theirs.  Also, BluePrint has brought me some really, really amazing friends throughout the years.

What’s your best or favorite story that you have done so far? There are a few that come to mind when I think of my favorite stories. One of them is definitely the feature I did on an elementary school teacher in our district, Ms. Murray. She let her students cut her hair for Childhood Cancer Awareness Week. It was by far one of the best interviews I’ve ever conducted. Tommie is one of my heroes.

I also wrote one last spring about the special education’s gym classes here in our school. It was a lot of work with interviews and researching, but it was all worth it when I got to know some of the students involved. It’s an experience that I want to take with me after graduation.

Laslty, the series of stories I wrote on Maddison Shura. Maddie was my teammate, and still lives as one of my biggest inspirations.  In her time, she taught me more about life than any superior ever has. Writing about her provided me some closure when I needed it and helped me to show my appreciation for her.

What would you tell a person considering joining the Blueprint? It’s not necessarily an easy 100 in Infinite Campus every marking period. Sure it’s a class, but The BA BluePrint is a *real* publication just like any print newspaper. Each year we find new ways as a staff to set us apart from other school online newspapers. Putting journalism on my class schedule was probably one of, if not, the best decision I’ve made in my high school career. If you enjoy writing, photography, web development etc., BluePrint is the class for you.