Lady Blue Devils control first round of playoffs

Riley Miller

Riley D’Angelo had 11 points in the girls win over Homer Center.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

Bellwood-Antis defeated Homer Center by a score of 89-65 at home last night to move on the the next round of District 6 2A playoffs.

You can check out our photostory from the game here.

B-A was on fire from the three point stripe, hitting 14 threes on the night, six of them coming from sophomore Alli Campbell who scored 33 points and 10 assists for yet another double double.

Fellow sophomores Sakeria Haralson and Emilie Leidig helped on offense scoring, 18 and 17, respectively.  Haralson picked up another double double with 10 rebounds.

The first quarter was a slow back and forth with constant touch fouls called both ways that would result in a 19-13 lead for Bellwood-Antis and Haralson in foul trouble. She would be forced to sit most of the second quarter while Bellwood-Antis’s guards and sophomore Olivia Mussleman,who pulled six rebounds, stepped up to help the Devils outscore the Wildcats 28-6.

The Lady Devils were up 47-19 at the end of the first half and appeared to on track for another defensive show, but in the second half Homer Center put up 46 points. That wasn’t enough, thought, as Bellwood-Antis kept their hot hand and put up 42 in the second half to secure the blowout.

B-A pushed the pace all night and the result was their second highest scoring game yet this season, along with an impressive 25 assists.

After the big win Bellwood-Antis hopes to carry the momentum on to the semifinals, where they will face off against number one ranked Blairsville. Four teams from 2A advance, so the Lady Devils are already in the PIAA tournament, but they are on the hunt for a District title.

“It was a great confidence booster,” said Senior Tina Hollen. “We had over twenty assists and were spreading the points around all night and it just gets everybody ready for Blairsville.”