Blue Devils overwhelm Everett

Zach Miller

Zach Mallon finds the referee after scoring a touchdown against Everett.

Travis Luensmann, Sports Writer

While it was a rainy night for football Friday night at Everett, the Devils came back north with with the win they washed out the Warriors 40-0.

“I thought we had a really good week of practice which is part of having that focus,” said Coach Nick Lovrich. “The focus cannot just come up on Friday night, it has to be a week long process, which is what it was for us this week.  Our goal each week is to be better than we were the week before.  We try not to look ahead and I think that has really helped us in our performances on Friday nights.”

Defensive was the name of the game for Bellwood, which held Everett to a total of 28 yards the entire game. The Warriors coughed the ball up five times, losing 3 out of the 5. This gave the Blue Devils great field position for most of the first half, getting the score up to 27-0 by halftime.

Zach Mallon had ta first-half touchdown, as did Jon Kost, Nick Plank, and Trevor Miller.

BluePrint sports
BluePrint sports

Offensively, multiple Devils had notable performances.Miller, who only had 8 pass attempts but still threw for 99 yards. His favorite target, Troy Walker had 3 out of Millers 5 completions, going for 41 yards.

Running strong for the Blue Devils again this week were Mallon and Plank. Mallon had 10 rushes for 100 yards – his second 100-yard game in a row – while putting in 2 touchdowns himself. Plank also chipped in a touchdown on 10 rushes for 47 yards.

“I think our running game is coming along very well,” Lovrich said. “We have been very consistent running the ball.  This week we started to get some of those bigger runs going, which is a produce of holding on to those blocks a little bit longer.  I think our line is getting more confidence which is helping make those holes bigger.”

For the Warriors, sophomore quarterback Malex Akers completes 4 out of 10 passes for 31 yards. 2 of his completions were to sophomore, Calvin Iseminger.

The Warriors now prepare to take on Northern Bedford this Friday night, and the Blue Devils will host Mo Valley on Bellwood’s Homecoming Night.