Bellwood Boys and Girls Find Success at United Invitational

Emilee Astore

Sophomore Lydia Worthing won the pole vault championship at the United Invitational Saturday.

Zach Miller, Photo Editor

This past Saturday the Bellwood boys and girls track teams competed in the United Invitational and found a lot of success in many events, with two field competitors claiming championships.

On the boys side, Joe Wertz won both the shot put and the discus while Lydia Worthing topped the pole vault for the girls.

Wertz threw 139 feet in the javelin and 47 feet in the shot.

The boys finished with a lot of top 8 finishers, including Hunter Shawley, who took 2nd in both the 110 and 300 meter hurdles.

The boys 4×100 meter relay finished 5th with the 4×400 relay team finishing 3rd. Rounding up the relays the boys were able to finish 6th in the 4×800 meter relay.

In the jumping events Zach Mallon took 4th in the high jump and 6th in the long jump. Zach was also able to finish 5th in the triple jump. Finally for the boys, Noah Patton was able to finish 4th.

Worthing won the pole vault with a jump of 9 feet, a full foot better than her nearest competitor. Emily Martin took third in the vault.

For the girls, Alexis Lovrich was able to get 3rd place in the 1600 meter run. Sophia Nelson finished 6th in the 100 meter hurdles. 

The girls 4×100 meter relay was able to pull out a 4th place along with the 4×400 meter relay also getting 4th place. Another 4th place finished was posted by the girls 4×800 meter relay team. 

In the jumping events, Raven Criscitello placed 6th in the triple jump. Lydia Worthing was able to get a big first placed finish in the girls pole vault. 

Rebecca Burns brought home a 5th place finish in the discus event. Along with Rebecca, Alayna Mccaulley finished in 8th place in the Javelin.  

Both track teams had pretty good days on Saturday and are looking to continue these performances in their future meets and invitationals. Good luck to both teams in the future, and good luck in their meet against Tussey Mountain on Tuesday