Athlete of the Week: Matt Berkowitz

Bailee Conway

Sophomore Matt Berkowitz has been on fire at the plate during B-A’s 4-1 start.

Jase Hostler, Staff Writer

This week’s athlete of the week is sophomore Matt Berkowitz, who is already putting his mark on the 2023 baseball season.

The Blue Devils are off to a 3-1 start, with their only loss coming against defending PIAA champion Central. Through those 5 games Berkowitz has been scorching hot at the plate, going 9-for-13 for a .692 average. He has been especially clutch with runners in scoring, driving in a team-high 12 runs.

Matt has been playing baseball since he was 3 years old. His favorite memory of playing baseball was when he hit his very first homerun in little league.

With the addition of a new head coach for the varsity team this season, Matt says, “I think the team morale has gone up and we are all working well together.”

As far as the offseason goes, Matt said he worked on his swing mechanics and fielding.

I think as a team, we are all more focused and prepared to win.

— Matt Berkowitz

Matt plays the shortstop and pitcher positions. His personal goal is to help the team win and potentially make the All-ICC team. In looking at the team, his goal is to win the ICC and compete in playoffs.

When asked how the experience of baseball has been over the years, Matt says, “I think every part of baseball has been a positive experience. I have made many lifelong friends and learned many lessons through the sport.”