Blue Devils Prepare for Hilltoppers

Connor Cobaugh
Senior Jordan Hescox watches film to prepare for an unusual offense this week against Westmont Hilltop.

The Blue Devils will take on the Westmont Hilltoppers tomorrow night at 7 in Bellwood. The Devils are coming off a 33-12 loss at Penns Valley last week, so this will be a bounce back game.

The Hilltoppers have a slow, run-heavy offense that should be easy to shut down if the defense can execute correctly. Last week, they lost to Bedford 27-21 and only completed a whopping three passes.

Holden Schreier will lead a young offense this week against the Hilltoppers. (Morgan Kinezle)

Senior Jordan Hescox says, “This week we have been working on changing the defense and bringing more people into the tackle box to be more aggressive stopping the run.”

The Blue Devils have some good offensive weapons that should be able to help them drive down field. Freshman running back Alex McCartney led the team last week with 208 rushing yards as well as a rushing touchdown. When asked what he’s planning on doing tomorrow, he said, “I’m planning on going out and just doing my job. If we all do our job, we win.”

The last time Bellwood met up with Westmont was in the 2017 District 6 Class 2A quarterfinals. The Hilltoppers knocked out the Blue Devils in a very close 29-28 game. Bellwood is very capable of beating them this year, and they plan to do it tomorrow night.