MOVIE REVIEW: IT (2017)

Public Domain Image
IT the movie is ranked based on cinematics and CGI.

Everybody loves a good scary movie the week of Halloween. Last weekend, the movie IT took my tv screen, and it has arguably been the best movie remake ever.

IT, titled onscreen as It Chapter 1, is one of a two part adaptation of the 1986 novel of the same name by Stephen King. The movie was released in 2017 after being in the works since 2009. The movie went through three different directors before Andy Muschietti was signed on to direct the film in June of 2015

The basic plot of IT follows a grieving boy named Bill Denbrough who’s brother, Georgie Denbrough, went missing without a trace. Through the movie, more and more kids continuing to go missing as Bill and his group of friends (who are commonly referred to as the Loser’s Club due to being outcasted) begin to see a tall, eccentric clown named ‘Pennywise the Dancing Clown’ who periodically tries to use their fears against them to make them coward away.

WARNING!! FROM HERE ON OUT, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FROM THE MOVIE!!

The first thing I want to discuss is the cinematics used in this movie. Undeniably, IT has the best camera work and CGI done for any recent horror film. The environment isn’t too dark like in other horror movies, but yet the color contrasting from the iconic red balloon that Pennywise is known to the darkness of the sewers in the final fight is perfect for this type of film.

The CGI itself is very gory but it fits the entire vibe of the movie very well. In the opening scene when Georgie gets his arm bit off, the ‘blood’ being left in the rain on the road is one of the remarkable attention to detail moments in the movie. Another one is when the blood is spewed dramatically over Beverly’s bathroom. The way they must have had to cover that whole bathroom in whatever the ‘blood’ was because the cleaning scene after seemed rather genuine the way they scrubbed and such. It was just incredible attention to detail.

Overall, the entire movie is an absolute cinematic masterpiece. From the camera work, the GCI, and the attention to detail the crew put into things, I’d give this movie a solid 8.5/10. You can watch It Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 on HBO Max with a subscription. If you haven’t seen the movie, I highly recommend it!