Bye Bye Birdie earns praise at Isaac Awards
B-A celebrates 2024 commencement

B-A celebrates 2024 commencement

May 31, 2024

Class of 2024 says goodbye

Class of 2024 says goodbye

May 31, 2024

Seniors receive diplomas for 2024

Seniors receive diplomas for 2024

May 31, 2024

Introducing music to young minds

BAHS Band Department recruiting 4th graders into the program
Band members show off their playing skills at the Myers. (Morgan Kienzle)

In the coming weeks, high school music students will be traveling down to the Meyer’s Elementary School to show off their instruments and try to recruit the newest generation of band members. In these coming days: Wednesday, Nov 8; Thursday, Nov 9; Tuesday, Nov 14; and Wednesday, Nov 15 students will have the opportunity to show off the mechanics of their instrument and encourage the 4th graders to sign up for band in January.

You can link to a photo slide show from the band trips here.

When a 7-12 grade student comes in, they can share a unique part of their experience to the fourth graders. [They] will connect better to the messages and excitement of the older students.

— Mr. Sachse

In previous years, Mr. Patrick Sachse, the 4th-12th grade band director here at Bellwood-Antis, has taken high school students down to the 4th grade general music classes to play and show off their respective instruments. They have been doing these recruit trips since the beginning of Mr. Sachse’s career.

Remarkably, these traditions have held strong even through COVID. In 2020, the music department made what they called a ‘recruit video’ instead of going to visit in person. However, operations have resumed as normal and the regularly scheduled recruitment trip has been reinstated.

“Students need an in-person reminder of what the instruments look and sound like.” remarked Mr. Sachse. “When a 7-12 grade student comes in, they can share a unique part of their experience to the fourth graders. [They] will connect better to the messages and excitement of the older students.”

Each day, the 7th-12th grade students who signed up will present to the different 4th grade homerooms during the different days.

According to Katie Bianchini, a senior band member who is although not attending the recruitment trips this year, says “I think having older students come down instead shows the kids that doing music for that long is actually possible. Plus, having someone younger showing the kids makes [the students] instantly cooler than Mr. Sachse.”