Veteran’s Day memorial: William Sitman

William+Sitman+was+a+Bellwood+graduate+who+became+a+war+hero+during+the+Korean+conflict.+
Jackson Dorminy
William Sitman was a Bellwood graduate who became a war hero during the Korean conflict.

Bellwood-Antis graduate William S. Sitman fought in the Battle of Chipyong-Ni, and he deserves recognition on Veterans Day.

Sitman was born on August 23, 1923 and graduated From BAHS in 1941. He fought in World War II in 1943 and then enlisted again in 1950.

Sitman ended up earning the Medal of Honor for his heroic act during the Korean War on February 14, 1951.

The Korean War was fought between North Korea and South Korea from 1950-1953. North Korea was supported by China and the Soviet Union, but South Korea was supported by the USA and allied countries. The Battle of Chipyong-Ni (also called the Gettysburg of The Korean war) is not  well-known but still had a big impact.

William was a machine gun section leader in Company M, and was attached to Company I, which was under attack by a superior force. Sitman and his men helped to provide security for the crew, but during the action, the enemy lobbed a grenade towards Sitman and his men. Fully aware of the odds against him, he threw himself on top of it, absorbing the full force of the explosion with his body. Sitman died, but he was able to save five men.

From this act of courage, Sitman became a war hero locally and elsewhere. In 1990, Bellwood-Antis even named their newly renovated school after William S. Sitman. Although people call it Bellwood-Antis High School, its formal name is William S. Sitman Middle/High school.

In 1951, the Bellwood VFW post dedicated Sitman Memorial Park in his honor. Fifteen years later, in 1966, a training camp in South Korea was  named Camp Sitman.

Ultimately, no one  really won the Korean War, since they ended up settling a agreement, but Sitman’s bravery and heroism live on to this day.

On Veterans Day, make sure to give thanks for all the fallen soldiers of any wars for their courage and braveness. Especially one of Bellwood’s greats, William S. Sitman.