Priced out of playing
BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

Featured Alumni: Sidney Patterson

Featured Alumni: Sidney Patterson

April 26, 2024

Bellwood cheerleaders sweep competition

Photo courtesy of Chrissy Shura
B-A’s varsity cheer squad continued its steady climb with a solid performance in Tyrone.

The Bellwood-Antis cheerleading squads traveled to Tyrone January 13, to compete in the Battle of the Bows and came home with a pair of first-place trophies.

The Battle of the Bows is a cheerleading and dance competition where teams will put together a two and a half routine to be judged. There were over 55 teams from all over Pennsylvania that attended the competition.

B-A entered its varsity competition squad and junior high rec team into the competition. Both of them won in their respective categories.

B-A’s junior high cheer team has been strong for several years and came away from Tyrone with a first-place performance.

The varsity squad competed in the Small Varsity category and the junior high rec squad competed in the Senior Rec category.

The teams’ goal was to earn the Grand Champion award for the highest score and to improve on their scores from Districts.

Varsity cheerleading coach Chrissy Shura hoped to mainly receive higher scores from the teams’ last competition.

“Our main goal was for our execution scores to be higher, and we did achieve that goal. Anytime you get to do your routine in front of judges it is a good experience and will prepare you for future competitions,” she said.

Both the varsity and the rec teams will be competing at the State College competition on February 24. Varsity has its last competition on March 3 in Williamsport.

“Both of these competitions always have good teams to compete against, so we are excited to attend them,” Coach Shura said.

Members of the varsity squad include: freshmen Avey Powers, Maya Powers, Addison Kovac, Morgan Snowberger, Ava Moore, Emma Tanneyhill, Peyton McCahan, Lydia Maule, and Mady Sisto; sophomores Brylee Hewitt, Reagan Ball, Lindsey Brinkman; and seniors Cami Focht and Savannah Wray.

Members of the junior high rec team included Hailey Waite, Carson Imler, Willa Guyer, Neveah Garmen, Ryleigh Fortney, Payton Zerby, McKenzie Buckner, Riley Weaver, Riley Weaver, Arielle Patterson, Raegan Guida, Eva Gulves, Camryn Plummer, Cameron Huffer, Izzy Hanna, and Addison Hopkins.