Featured Alumni: Mya Roberts

Courtesy photo
Mya Roberts (left) graduated from B-A in 2019, and is the Featured Alumni. She and Kaelynn Behrens (right) were BluePrint editors in 2018-2019.

In the BluePrint class of 2019, Mya Roberts wore many hats as she hosted a video series, captured photos, and wrote and edited stories. Her role as Multimedia Editor and Co-editor with Kaelynn Behrens gave her the opportunity to “[enjoy] every aspect” of the class and what it had to offer.

After graduation, Mya attended Juniata College to major in Spanish Secondary Education, but eventually made the switch to PreK-4 General Education and PreK-8 Special Education. She kept herself occupied with positions on Juniata’s Board of Trustees, Christian fellowship, and the activities executive board.

Every student has something to share … High school wasn’t always the place where being different was welcomed, so I am grateful for the way students opened up to me and the way the community supported their unique skills and talents

— Mya Roberts

Even though she handled a full calendar of activities in college, in high school, the worry about managing a busy schedule almost kept Mya from taking BluePrint class.

“I wasn’t going to join BluePrint. I didn’t want to add more to my plate, so if I was going to do it I needed to have a definitive purpose,” said Mya.

Her call for a “definitive purpose” led to the invention of the “2 Cool 4 School” mini series. “2 Cool 4 School” highlights activities that students participate in outside of B-A sports and clubs, and was originally in the form of videos. Mya drew inspiration from her involvement at Andrea’s School of Dance on Main Street and how it was a major part of her life that wasn’t as “highly appreciated” as a sport.

“Every student has something to share … High school wasn’t always the place where being different was welcomed, so I am grateful for the way students opened up to me and the way the community supported their unique skills and talents,” she commented.

The series is still an active section on the BluePrint website to this day, and Mya appreciates it from a “different lens” now.

“Reading the stories of individual students helps alumni to reminisce and connect with a place where so many memories were made,” Mya stated.

New developments, creations, and innovations that Mya was a part of didn’t end with the beginning of “2 Cool 4 School”. In 2018-2019, Mya, Kaelynn Behrens, and B-A security officer, Mr. Tim Mercer, hosted a multipart documentary of “discovering lost parts of Bellwood due to renovation and time,” which was called “Forgotten Bellwood”.

“Forgotten Bellwood was something [BluePrint advisor, Mr. Kerry] Naylor and Kaelynn [Behrens] had in the back of their brains for a while … I was eager to become part of past student’s lives and present student’s amazement,” quoted Mya.

“Forgotten Bellwood” focused on parts of the school that were unknown to the average student or are completely different from how they used to be. The series opened doors for Mya to walk through and document that never would have opened otherwise. One location that sticks out as special was the football locker room.

“I enjoyed learning about the tidbits of information Coach Lovrich could share because of his involvement for the past thirty years as a student and a coach! Tim Mercer also always found a way to allow us to be part of the history in our own way…” she said.

Besides the abundance of projects she got to work on, her favorite parts of the class came from the “mundane and typical moments.”

“I loved seeing different names in the by-lines and watching collaboration come from the most unlikely pairings. I enjoyed the behind the scenes work the most,” Mya mentioned.

Being a part of The BluePrint made a significant impact on Mya’s college education and professional career. She continued to utilize the tools she learned, such as communicating clearly and professionally, and having confidence for corresponding with qualified adults.

Not only did BluePrint make a mark on her life, but Mya left just as big of an impact on the website.

“There were some years where The BluePrint reached crazy heights, and you can’t do that without student innovation. Mya was an innovator … sometimes you have to see your vision where others don’t, and then through sheer force of will you bring it into being. That was Mya. She was very strong-willed and committed to her vision,” Mr. Naylor quoted.

Mya recently tied the knot with B-A graduate, Alex Roberts, in October. The pair moved to Williamsport for Alex to finish his degree, and Mya will teach in her new full-time position this fall.