Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

PJAS participants prepare for the upcoming regional competition

Ian Clark, Jonathan Bickel, Noah Corklic, Chance Hawk, Eric Johnson, Hunter Shura, and Damien Barnett have all prepared to compete in the PJAS regional competition this weekend at Saint Francis university.

The annual Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science regional competition will be on February 10th at Saint Francis University. PJAS is an event where juniors and seniors can sign up to conduct science experiments to promote learning, thinking, problem-solving, and science itself. 

Six Bellwood-Antis students are ready to present their experiments at the competition. Jonathan Bickel, Noah Cokrlic, Eric Johnson, Ian Clark, Damien Barnett, Hunter Shura, and Chance Hawk are the participants, while Landon Hostler completed a project but chose not to participate. All students are enrolled in Mr. Goodman’s new 8th period class, Project-Based Science.

PJAS is divided into 12 regions with each region consisting of two or more counties. Our region, which is called region 6, is made up of 9 total counties. Blair, Clearfield, Centre, Cambria, Huntingdon, Somerset, Bedford, Fulton, and Franklin counties will be competing in this region. 

“It will be a lot for sure, but I think it will be worth it when it’s done with,” said Johnathon when asked about his PJAS experience.

The students get to choose their own experiment from a set of 13 categories. These categories include math, engineering, computer science, biology, chemistry, and more. The students do PJAS as an extracurricular activity, therefore they do most of their work outside of the classroom. Of course, the science teachers guide and assist the students along the way.

The entire process takes a lot of work and preparation, but that has made the experience satisfying for B-A’s participants.

“I am most excited for the PJAS competition. We have worked so hard on these [projects] and I want to see if it will pay off,” Noah said.

Some of the experiments the BA students are doing include the aerodynamics of a bottle rocket fin, the labels of sodas, the sixth sense, the electrical conductivity of fruit, the life of bread before it grows moldy, and the strength of fishing line. 

“I think that the part that was the best was actually doing the experiments. All of our planning coming together felt great,” said Ian, who is eager for the event.

Since the outbreak of COVID, there have been no competitors to presented at any Regional or State competitions. Every competitor can earn a 1st award, which will bring them to State competition in Penn State University Park, 2nd award, and a 3rd award. Participants are judged solely on the rubric, meaning if 2 students do exceptional, then they can both earn a 1st award.

On February 8, the students will have a Parent Night for the students to practice their presentations in preparation for their big event. 

“I’m excited to have 7 BAHS students attend and present this year at the regional competition… I feel this is a real growing experience for the 9th and 12th graders,” said Ms. Shimel, the co-sponsor for BAHS and co-director of PJAS in region 6. “I’m excited for competition day as a whole! Certainly, the students have prepared will in Mr. Goodman’s class… I am hopeful that this success continues on competition day when they are rubric scored and placed to determine their future competition prospects.”

Best of luck to the participants of PJAS!