Most Anticipated Movies of 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Most Anticipated Movies of 2019

Ben Nofsker, Staff Writer

Avengers: Endgame may have been the most highly anticipated movie of 2019, and it didn’t disappoint. Along with consistently outstanding reviews, the film has made nearly $2.5 billion worldwide.

But there’s still plenty to be excited about in movies this year. Here are the most anticipated movies in the Endgame aftermath.

• POKÉMON Detective Pikachu

Pokémon Detective Pikachu centers around Ryan Reynold’s adaptation of the character in Rhyme City and is starring alongside Justin Smith’s rendition of Tim Goodman. Tim is an ex trainer whose father went missing. With the aid of a talking, amnesia-stricken Pikachu who labels himself as ‘Detective Pikachu,’ and a reporter named Lucy Stevens and her Psyduck set out to find Tim’s lost father and a threat that endangers the whole world of Pokémon. Pokémon Detective Pikachu has earned a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.5/10 on IMDb.

• Godzilla King of Monsters

This movie was hinted at during the supposed prequel, Kong: Skull Island, where at the end we saw that Kong “isn’t the only king out there.” This movie will focus on Godzilla, as always, and his fight against King Ghidorah; the giant three headed lightning dragon, Mothra; the enormous flying moth, and Rodan, the fiery pterodactyl. This will be the fight of Godzilla’s life where he will likely fight all three at once. In the previous movies, Godzilla has only gone up against one of them at once, now its all three. There is only one thing that could make this movie bad in terms of this series is if they added the Mecha Godzilla from 1974. So far, this movie doesn’t have an IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes rating.

• Spider-man: Far from Home

This newest installment of the Spiderman franchise with Tom Holland, Far From Home will take place directly after the events of Avengers: Endgame. Peter Parker has been traumatized after the fight with Thanos and that he has lost the only father figure he ever had. After Iron Man/ Tony Stark had the Infinity Stones and snapped away all of Thanos’ army, the power of the stones was too much and it killed Tony. Now Peter is seeing memorials to Iron Man everywhere he goes and “wants to just go in vacation.” After a trip to Europe later, the trailer shows Jake Gyllenhaal as a familiar fish-bowl wearing villain? July 2nd the movie releases and we will see how Spiderman copes with this tragedy. On the IMDb popularity scale, Spider man: Far From Home is rated at #3.

• Star Wars: Episode IX

We don’t know much about this movie yet. A trailer has been released and it opens up with Rey jumping over a tie fighter piloted by Kylo Ren, then Rey, Finn, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 looking over the remains of a destroyed Death Star. Finally, the trailer closes with the iconic voice of  Ian McDiarmid’s Emperor Palpatine’s laugh. On IMDb, the popularity rating of it is #40

• X-Men: Dark Phoenix

After her last appearance in X-Men: Apocalypse, many fans have been speculating that Jean Grey will become the Dark Phoenix, a being of near infinite telekinetic power. Considering the fact that in order to defeat Apocalypse, Jean had to release her hidden Phoenix power. Now that she has opened up to her powers, they are corrupting her. Dark Phoenix will center around Jean Grey, portrayed by Sophie Turner once again, and her decent to becoming evil and if the cost of removing one member of the X-Men is worth the fate of the world. In terms of IMDb, Dark Phoenix is #27 in popularity.