Hawn earns statewide award to lead BluePrint at Keystones

Caleb Beiswenger

Seniors Bailee Conway and Jacob Hawn earned high honors from the Keystone Media Awards.

Caleb Beiswenger, Staff Writer

B-A BluePrint seniors Jacob Hawn and Bailee Conway were named winners for the Keystone Media Awards this week, just as the BluePrint site itself earned another statewide honor.

BluePrint seniors Jacob Hawn, Bailee Conway, Tighe Eaken, and Caleb Beiswenger have helped lead the publication to another high honor from the Keystone Media Awards. (Eli Pluebell)

Jacob Hawn’s story on the shortage of PIAA officials was named the top high school sports story in PA by the Keystone Media Awards. 

Bailee Conway’s story on lingering effects of COVID took second place in the general news category. Along with these awards, the BluePrint website took second in the high school website category.

“Both Jacob and Bailee have been a big part of our success this year and it’s amazing to see them earn a few honors before the year is over,” said Advisor Mr. Kerry Naylor. “They each take a lot of pride in writing the stories they do and in putting in the work to make them the absolute best. Every publication needs students like that”

This is the sixth time the website has earned a top 2 finish since 2016. The BluePrint was named top site in 2017 and 2018. 

“To be among the top student websites in PA year after year is a real testament to the students we have writing for us. Each year the enrollment of the class turns over almost completely with 10-15 new students coming in and keeping the ball rolling. I am very proud of the work they do,” said Mr. Naylor.

Conway said she thinks the awards show the BluePrint is headed in the right direction.

“I think it’s really doing well,” she said. “We put stories out everyday, which is very impressive.”

The award ceremony for the two writers and the website will be held on April 26 in Harrisburg.