Unpopular Opinion: The Beatles are overrated

Public domain image
The Beatles were overrated, says writer Jayden Bartlebaugh.

Years ago The Beatles were at the top of the music chart with their hit album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. However, if you listen to the album today and aren’t a die hard Beatles fan you may find the album underwhelming.

Now don’t get me wrong, The Beatles make great music and are the most influential band of all time, but comparatively they aren’t as good as other bands.

If we compare The Beatles to other rock bands in this era, it’s hard to see where they perform better. For example, Jimi Hendrix had one of the most unique sounding guitars with new techniques no one had seen before. George Harrison is only known for having a good melody and sounding good. 

Another aspect that made the Beatles so good was their song writing and vocals. It would be a crime to say that a Beatles song isn’t catchy and Paul Mccarnty and John Lennon can’t sing. However, at the end of the reign in 1970, another major band would come later and take their place.

Queen would release their first debut album in 1973 and would quickly rise to the top with Freddie Mercury’s amazing vocals. In my opinion, I believe that Freddie Mercury was simply a better singer than Mccarnty and Lennon. He had a much better range of vocals in songs like Bohemian Rhapsody where he’s able to go from a softer singing voice, to a harsher more hard rock singing voice.

If we look at a band that would be overall better than The Beatles, only one band comes to mind. Led Zeppelin, another rock band who has also been held to such high standards. Led Zeppelin was able to do what The Beatles did making catchy songs that keep you engaged the entire time. Arguably, Led Zeppelin, made overall better songs; Jimmy Page with a unique tone and finger picking, John Bonham with amazing dexterity and light on his wrist and feet. Robert Plant also had amazing vocals in songs like Stairway to Heaven.

In the end, The Beatles were a major influence to modern day music with their innovative catchy songs. Although when we compare The Beatles to other bands of the time we can see that they simply don’t compare. Guitarists like Jimmy Hendrix and Jimmy Page are in a whole different league compared to guitarist George Harrison. Bands like Led Zeppelin and Queen have more complex and better sounding music. In my opinion I think that the reason The Beatles are still held on such a high throne is because they were making music nothing like other bands of the time. If you ask someone why they think The Beatles are so good is simply because of what they did and not what they made.