Two Bellwood musicians attend regional band

Kate Wallace
A poster hangs beside the band room with Anthony Berardi (Left) and Abi Eckenrod (Right) who both attended region band late February.

Two students attended region band at Bald Eagle Area High School nearing the end of February.

From February 22 to 24, sophomore Anthony Berardi and senior Abi Eckenrod attended the competition and placed high marks. Berardi placed second chair for percussion, and Eckenrod received first chair for piccolo.

“I am very proud of both students! They have put tons of time and hard work into getting to Regions,” commented Patrick Sachse, the band director at Bellwood-Antis. “They both have many great musical opportunities in their future.”

Berardi will be later attending the PMEA All-State Conference wind ensemble in Erie in April, read more about it here.

“Regionals was such a great experience! I loved all the chosen pieces and I loved all the parts I got,” stated Berardi. “I’m beyond ecstatic to be able to go to states and play with people from around the entirety of Pennsylvania. I’m honored and proud to be able to represent Bellwood-Antis.”

He stated that his personal favorite piece was “El Cumbanchero” which is a fun and fast-paced song for those on the drums like Berardi.

Both musicians along with junior Emily Zacker previously attended district band with Berardi placing second chair in overall percussion, Eckenrod placing first chair overall on the piccolo, and Zacker placing seventh overall for percussion.

“I finished the festival season with a clean sweep of first from previous auditions to regions,” said Eckenrod. “I’m very proud of myself for what I can accomplish!”

Sachse stated that he was honored to teach both students attending regionals, and that they treat their fellow musicians with patience and respect.

“I feel greatly thankful for everyone who helped me get where I am,” commented Berardi. “I would be nowhere near where I am now without the people who have helped and taught me. Being able to work with the other percussionists was such a blast. They were all amazing and fun people to be around.”