3 B-A musicians headed to District band

Bellwood-Antis School District
Abi Eckenrod, Anthony Berardi, and Emily Zacker each qualified for District band.

Three students at Bellwood-Antis high school have made it into the Pennsylvania Music Educator’s (PMEA) District 6 band festival. 

These three students are senior Abi Eckenrod, junior Emily Zacker, and sophomore Anthony Berardi. 

This is Eckenrod’s second year in a row making it. She qualified for the flute and got first with the piccolo, and will be playing the piccolo at the festival. 

Eckenrod had been working on her piece since August with her flute teacher. This allowed her to practice early and not be nervous when the actual auditions came around.

Eckenrod stated, “I was thoroughly impressed with all three of us making it! When they had announced our names at the winter sports pep rally, it was such a surreal experience and I can’t wait to attend the festival with everyone!”

Zacker finished  in second place overall while Anthony Berardi was third. Both are percussionists.

“I am very proud of these students. They have all taken the time to work with private lesson teachers to truly excel at their instruments,” said Bellwood-Antis band director Mr. Sachse. 

The musicians had Auditioned for District Band at Northern Cambria High School. Each musician learned a technically difficult solo with several different instruments and then performed in front of three judges, where they were ranked and rated in five different categories. 

These categories were made up of technical and expressive musicianship. 

Near the beginning of January, these three students will attend Districts at Greater Johnstown high school for two days. There they will be auditioning for a chance to advance to Region III Band, and after that have a chance at PMEA All-State band.