Priced out of playing
BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

Featured Alumni: Sidney Patterson

Featured Alumni: Sidney Patterson

April 26, 2024

Early release from school because of total solar eclipse

Public domain image
Students at B-A and several other schools throughout the county will dismiss early April 8 ahead of the solar eclipse.

On Monday, April 8, Pennsylvania will be experiencing a total solar eclipse beginning around 2:30. On Wednesday, the Bellwood-Antis School District announced that it has decided to conduct an early dismissal because of the event.

High school and middle school students will be dismissed at 12:15 pm, and elementary students will be dismissed at 1:00 pm.

A total solar eclipse is when the moon passes between the sun and the earth, which completely blocks light from the sun. It is not safe to look directly at the sun without eclipse glasses or number 13 welding helmet glass. 

Without the glasses, the solar eclipse can cause retinal burns, and other significant damage to the eyes. 

Blair County is not in the direct path of complete darkness, but will see over 95% of the moon covering the sun. 

The Blueprint talked to Superintendent Mr. Edward Disabato, who said other area schools had made the decision to have an early dismissal, and Bellwood decided to follow. For example, Altoona made the decision to dismiss early at a board meeting this week.

Mr. DiSabato said there was a regional zoom call with the IU8 where the matter was discussed between schools. 

“Never put yourself on an island and support what other schools do,” Mr. DiSabato said. “There is safety in numbers, and decisions are always based on the safety of everyone involved.”

Local school leaders and school board members reviewed the situation and decided that for the safety of all staff, students, and the community that it would be best to leave school early. 

Practices and after-school activities at Bellwood-Antis will also be changed.