Nurses uses chalk board to brighten students’ day

A drawing of Winnie the Poo by Patricia Henderson and Abigail McGuire is currently on display in the office of Nurse Hoover.

Mrs. Kelley Hoover has been the Bellwood-Antis Middle and High School nurse for more then a decade. She took over for Mrs. Saylor back in 2014.

One of the first things Mrs. Hoover did when she took over was when she painted a wall in her office with chalk paint to create the chalk board she has today.

As soon as students walk into see the nurse, the wall behind features the painted the board. Mrs. Hoover allows students to express their artistic talent on her board. For every holiday she lets someone new redo her board.

Mrs. Hoover said she likes to have kids do her chalk board to “make them feel involved and put the spot light on kids, show case their talents.”  She said the board design that has stood out the most over the years was done by Grace Myers, who wrote “I Love You” in every language.

Currently Patricia Henderson and Abby McGuire have been asked by the nurse to redo her board for spring. Patricia came up with the idea to do Winnie the Pooh. Pinterest was one source of inspiration for the girls, who settled on a picture of Winnie with his jar of honey. Abby drew the flowers and wrote the words.

If you are an artist and want to express your artistic talents, ask Mrs. Hoover if you can do her board. You can also have more than one person doing the board, but if you’re a solo artist then that’s fine too!