10 tragic deaths of rock and roll

iTunes photo

The death of Kurt Cobain still resonates with rock fans two decades later.

Eli Vaglica, Student Contributor

In this list that I have so biasedly conceived, I have my personal thoughts on what I believe are the 10 most tragic deaths in rock and metal history.

10. Cliff Burton … The late bassist of Metallica. He died in a traffic collision in 1986.

John Lennon: Imagine

9. John Lennon and George Harrison of The Beatles … The Beatles were major influencers of rock and roll. They’re the genesis of what we would now call a boy band. Only two members are alive today: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. John Lennon was assassinated in 1981 and George Harrison died of lung cancer in 2001.

8. The Ramones… most of them … I was told once that I look like Joey Ramone. The Ramones gave a major contribution to punk rock. Tommy Ramone, the drummer, died just last year. Joey died in 2001, followed by DeeDee Ramone dying in 2002. Two years after that Johnny Ramone died.

Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child

7. Elvis Presley … His songs are widely known, from “Jailhouse Rock” to “You Ain’t Nothin But A Hound Dog.” Most people know Elvis. He is considered “The King of Rock and Roll”, or just “The King”. His demise was brought on by cardiac arrest, most likely from drug use, on the toilet in 1977.

6. Jimi Hendrix … He may be the king of psychedelic rock. His ideas of a serene world should still live on. He left this world by an overdose of barbiturates in 1970.

Queen: Bohemian Raphsody

5. Bon Scott … The late singer of AC/DC, he’s the main person you’ve listened to when AC/DC is on the radio. His death was caused by alcohol intoxication in 1980.

4. Freddie Mercury … The front man for Queen, who contracted AIDS. He actually died from bronchopneumonia in 1991.

Nirvana: All Apologies (MTV Unplugged)

3. Mitch Lucker … The late vocalist of Suicide Silence. He was driving a motorcycle on Halloween night in 2012 while under the influence of alcohol and crashed. He died at the hospital the next day, November 1. The band is currently trying to return to its former glory. R.I.P Mitch.

2. Darrell Lance Abbott from Pantera … A man named Nathan Gale simply walked on stage and shot him at a concert in 2004.

1. Kurt Cobain … The late vocalist of Nirvana who committed suicide on April 5, 1994.