Bellwood-Antis crowns two District speech champions

Four team members advance to the state competition

Sally Padula

Jenna Bartlett, Maria McFarland, Alli McCaulley, and Grace Misera qualified for states in speech last Friday.

Cory Parson, Staff Writer

Congratulations to Bellwood’s four state qualifiers following the District speech meet at Greater Johnstown High School on Friday.

Junior Allison McCaulley placed first in poetry and Senior Maria McFarland placed first in Informative Speaking. Freshman Jenna Bartlett and Junior Grace Misera both placed second in their respective categories (Informative Speaking and Humorous Interpretation, respectively).

“I’m very proud of all the students who competed,” said advisor Mrs. Sally Padula. “The four ladies who will compete at states have worked very hard to get to this point.”

Alli said it was a culmination of a lot of effort over the years.

“I was pleased with the results,” said Alli. “I worked very hard for this moment and I feel as though I deserve it. Now it’s on to states and I couldn’t be more excited!”

Maria felt the same excitement about moving on to states.

“I didn’t really expect it,” she said. “I am very excited that Jenna and I are the only ones from  our category that got to advance onto states.”

Advisor Mrs. Sally Padula had a similar reaction to Maria and Jenna qualifying to move on.

“I’m especially excited for Jenna and Maria since this is Jenn’a first time and Maria’s last,” Mrs. Padula said.

The four ladies who will compete at states have worked very hard to get to this point.

— Mrs. Padula

All qualifiers feel as though it is going to be a blast moving on.

The state competition is located at Susquehanna University on April 8th-9th