Four B-A students earn District titles in speech

Speech program remains strong with new advisor

Randy Zitterbart and Luke Hollingshead were among five Bellwood-Antis students to win their category at District speech last week.

Kayla Kustaborder, Staff Writer

Four Bellwood-Antis students won their categories at the District 14 speech meet at Richland High School on February 27.

The students are now eligible to compete at the state competition at Susquehanna University on March 20-21.

Randy Zitterbart and Luke Hollingshead–Duo, Grace Misera–Humorous Interpretation, Stephanie Mills–Declamation, all took home first-place honors, and Allison McCaulley took second place in poetry and will also move on to states. Mills’s category is not a state-qualifying category.

As a first year adviser … I was concerned that the speech league wouldn’t do well, but these kids have proven me wrong.

— Mrs. Padula

Advisor Mrs. Sally Padula said, “I’m very proud of these five young people. They’ve worked very hard to be at the top of their category. As a first year adviser, with little knowledge, I was concerned that the speech league wouldn’t do well, but these kids have proven me wrong. They are truly committed to this and I’m excited to be along for the ride!”

Along with other speech team members they will compete on March 2 and 4 at St. Francis University to qualify for the national competition to be held over Memorial Day weekend in Florida.

Misera said, “It feels good and it’s really cool to say that you’re a district champion. It’s nifty.”

McCaulley was surprised she advanced to states.

“I went into my final around and gave it my all, but I was still a little worried it wouldn’t be enough,” she said. “I knew that whatever I did either blew the judges away or bored them to tears. When they told me I would be advancing to states, I was a little surprised but it wasn’t shocking to me. I earned this. I know my strengths and weaknesses so I feel like that’s going to help me prepare for states. I’m also very excited!”