Big Brothers Big Sisters impacts B-A students

Program is still looking for student volunteers

Bryce Graham

Junior Lexi Gerwert helps middle-schooler Mike Hostler with math.

Jami Daley, Staff Writer

Students and mentors achieving results together, also known as the S.M.A.R.T. program, will kick off its sixth  year at Bellwood-Antis on October 18.

This type of programming, an arm of the nationally renown Big Brothers-Big Sisters program, provides “littles” with a caring high school student to be a role model who will help them to succeed at home and at school.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters program meets once a week on Tuesdays after school from around 3:00 to 4:15 in the middle school cafeteria. As of right now the S.M.A.R.T. program only has eight high school students to be mentors.

Advisor Mrs. Julie Heckman has stated that there is a real need for “Bigs”

“The definition of a Big Brother or Big Sister is to be a fun older friend that the ‘little’ can look up to,” said Mrs.  Heckman.

According to its website, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Blair County seeks to change the lives of children facing adversity for the better, forever.

It is intended to serve littles at a designated place where they regularly meet with educated counselors one on one or in a group setting and take part in planned activities.

Some of these activities include board games and help with homework. These activities get the kids away from their phones and other electronic devices and require them to practice communication skills.

“I had a lot of fun at big brothers big sisters because my big helped me get my homework done, and I didn’t have to do it at home,” said Robyn Daley.