BAMS Teacher Feature: Mr. Collins

Living life as a 5th grade teacher

Samantha Gerwert

Mr. Collins enjoys teaching math class the most.

Mr. Collins is a fifth grade teacher at BAMS. He has been teaching for 12 years, eight of them in Maryland. He graduated from Lock Haven University with a teaching degree.

Mr. Collins chose teaching as a career because he wanted to make a difference in the lives of children. He enjoys interacting with students each and every day. It’s easy to tell with this comment he made during our interview: “It puts a smile on my face to see that look in a child’s eye when he or she finally gets something. I like making people smile and seeing them experience a little enjoyment with the task of learning.”

Mr. Collins teaches mathematics, reading, history, English, and spelling. When asked what his favorite subject is to teach, he responded, “Each of the classes are unique and special to me, but if I had to pick a ‘favorite’, it would probably be mathematics. Math was always my favorite subject growing up, so I tend to favor it a little more than others. I enjoy the pace and seeing the children’s growth each and every day.”

Mr. Collins’ favorite part of teaching is talking to and interacting, with students and parents that he had  previously worked with. He added to that by saying, “I enjoy seeing where students are compared to where they came from.”  

Mr. Collins has many goals for his students to achieve throughout this school year. He hopes that by the end of the year they are able to do numerous things they may have struggled at, or not known how to, when the school year started. He also hopes all of his students can say that they are a better person than they were months earlier.

Mr. Collins concluded by saying, “I hope each child has a better school year next year and beyond because of something we said or did throughout the course of this school year. Lastly, I hope the parents are happy with the school year and the education their child received”, said Mr. Collins.

It’s easy to see why the students really enjoy having Mr. Collins for a teacher!