Who is Rescuing Who?

The BAMS Tech Club Joins the Mending Hearts Animal Rescue Team

Brothers Corey and Blake Johnston are among 22 Tech Club students volunteering at Mending Hearts.

Mending Hearts Animal Rescue is an amazing non-profit organization that is located in Hollidaysburg, PA. Mending Hearts rescues dogs and cats, and tries to find the purr-fect fur-ever home with the purr-fect family for each and every one of them. And now this super cool place has some extra special help in achieving their goal: The Middle School Tech Club is now helping to manage the Mending Hearts’ Facebook page by creating all kinds of media—images, collages and videos (like the one shown to the right)—to promote the adoption of animals in the shelter.

Tech Club adviser Ms. Forshey and her 22 students have been writing feature posts such as “Totally Adopt Me Tuesday” and “Furry Fact Friday” to highlight various dogs and cats and to provide facts to the public about why adopting animals is so important. In addition to using their tech skills to promote a real-world cause, students are learning to demonstrate qualities such as compassion, empathy and volunteerism.

When asked about this community service project, eighth grade student Kermit Foor said, “I think we’re helping a good cause. I really enjoy making some of the content for the Mending Hearts site, especially when it helps find a good owner for the animals.”