BMOC: Nevin Wood

Manning Photography

Nevin Wood prepares to zing a pitch

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

The Blue Devil baseball team was looking for some big senior leadership this year, returning 8 starters.

Senior Pitcher/Short-Stop Nevin Wood brought just that. Wood has seen serious action on the Diamond since he was a freshman.

Last season Wood played in 21 games, batting a .281 Avg. The senior collected 18 hits and 12 RBI’s for his junior campaign.

Nevin started this season 1-1 on the mound for B-A, but is expecting big things for this season.

“With eight returning starters we have very high expectations and believe that it is our year to do big things,” said Wood.

Nevin decided this year to specialize in baseball only, giving up his senior year of basketball to help find more success on the diamond.

“I was able to get in our hitting facility a lot sooner to work with the other guys and get working,” said Wood.

Wood, who gave his commitment to play baseball at Juniata College, is an all-around team player.

“Perosnally my goals for this season is to just contribute to wins and get a District 6 title,” said wood, “Before that we want to have a very strong regular season taking us into the playoffs.”

The ace pitcher knows success won’t come easy, but does know what it’ll take to achieve it.

“We’re going to have to play together and pick each other up when mistakes are made. We have to come every day to get better,” said Wood.

Nevin knows the process of working hard. He is a believer that the more work you put in, the more success you will get out. This big man on campus is looking for a monster year.

Head Coach Steve Conlon thinks highly of Nevin in more ways than just a baseball player.

“Nevin has been an outstanding player for four years. He practices everyday with the intent of improving from the day before,” said Conlon, “Juniata is getting an excellent baseball player as well as an outstanding young man.”