Volleyball wins season opener

Julie Norris

The volleyball team celebrates a big point in its win last night over Juniata Valley.

Jake Miller, Sports Writer

The lady Blue Devils volleyball team won its season opener against Juniata Valley three sets to two last night at the Bellwood-Antis gymnasium.

The Lady Devils found themselves trailing after the first set, which Juniata Valley won by ten points (15-25). They were able to rally in the second set with a hard fought win, taking the set 25-22.

This win didn’t sway the momentum all in their favor as Juniata Valley came back with a vengeance to take the third set 16-25.

Bellwood-Antis worked to come back and take the fourth set 25-21.

This set up the tie-breaking fifth set which the girls took 15-9.

According to sophomore Bella Kies, the game had special meaning for B-A for several reasons. Not only was it an ICC game, but many of the girls on the two teams know each other, making for a friendly rivalry.

“Everybody in my grade knows all of their tenth graders, so that makes it a big game,” she said. “To get the win was really important, but we can still work on things, like communication.”

Senior Kamryn Mercer was key to the girls attack. She was on her game completing ten service points, five kills and four blocks.

Karlie Feathers, a sophomore, was also able to help turn the tide in favor of the girls.  Feathers registered 11 service points to lead the team in that category.

She was especially excited about the win remarking, “Our team is like a family, we are going to have a great season!”

The girls return to action Thursday, at home, where they will take on Glendale.