SPORTS ROUNDUP: Boys soccer springs the upset

Grace Naylor

Corey Johnston had Tyrone’s only goal in a win over Bellefonte.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

The boys soccer team had a huge 3-1 win over previously unbeaten Bellefonte at home last night.

It was a defensive grind for both teams in the game, with the first half resulting scoreless.

Corey Johnston had the only scoring play of the game with a penalty kick at the 39 second mark in the second half.

To this point in the season the Golden Eagles offense has nearly been unstoppable with Sophomore Corey Johnston leading the attack, but the defense won the day.

“It was a really hard-fought game by both sides,” said Tyrone defender and B-A senior Blake Johnston. “We played really good defense and kept with them until the final whistle. I’m really proud of our team’s performance.”

The Golden Eagles advanced to 4-1 which put them a half game ahead at the top of the Mountain League.

Tennis team wins third straight

The Golden Eagles ladies tennis team beat Clearfield 7-0 to advance their record to 3-2 for the season.

The win last night was the third in a row for the lady Golden Eagles after a rough 0-2 start.  Bellwood-Antis senior Christina Hollen remained perfect with a singles victory.

Volleyball wins at home

The volleyball team remained undefeated at home, sweeping Everett last night.

In a fairly close match, the Lady Devils won 25-21, 25-19, and 25-21.

Sydney Lechner continued to set up her teammates with regularity, registering 19 assists.

Alexis Parson had 21 service points, and Sakera Harris kept up her domination around the net, slamming home eight kills.

Soccer team drops on to West Branch

The girls soccer team continued its slide, falling on the road to West Branch on the road, 4-1.

The Lady Eagles trailed 2-0 in the second half before B-A junior Riley D’Angelo assisted Tyrone sophomore Maqqel Kosoglow to make it 2-1. But the Lady Warriors pulled away with two unanswered goals.