SPORTS ROUND-UP: Tennis splits championship

Owen Shaulis nd the soccer team struggled to score goals against Penns Valley.

Jake Miller, Sports Writer

Bellwood-Antis senior, Tina Hollen won a pair of matches yesterday against Huntingdon, winning both her singles sets 6-0 and her doubles set 8-0.

The Golden Eagles finished the season 5-3, tied with Central for the Mountain League championship.

“My freshman year we were the Mountain League champs. Then the next two years we only won two matches within the league,” reflected Hollen. “We’re back to where we were when I started. This team is completely different than the team my freshman year, and most of the girls only joined last year. It’s reassuring to know that this may be my last year, but the team is in good hands.”

Hollen has been an instrumental part of the Tyrone Golden Eagles tennis team this year. She went undefeated the entire season in her sets, an achievement that should earn her another Mountain League MVP award.

“I’m extremely humbled,” Hollen said of a possible third MVP. “It’s a very nice gesture that the league does and I am grateful to have been chosen for the award the last two years.”

Cross Country teams beat West Branch

Both the boys and girls cross country squads were able to race past West Branch’s teams yesterday.

Former Bellwood-Antis student Tyler Hoover finished first against the Blue Devils but that was the only high-light for the Warriors as the rest of the race was all B-A.

Senior Robert VanKirk placed second as he continued to place in front of all Bellwood-Antis runners. Jake Miller was able to take third overall and second on the team following Vankirk.

The Blue Devils packed it in to take the win after that won the meet 23-32.

Jenna Bartlett also kept her streak of first places going up at West Branch. She led the lady Blue Devils to a 15-50 win since the lady Warriors didn’t have enough runner to field a team.

Soccer team ties Penns Valley

Corey Johnston scored the lone goal for the Tyrone/Bellwood-Antis soccer team in a 1-1 draw with Penns Valley at the Harry K. Sickler Athletic Park.

The game went two overtimes.

Johnston gave the Eagles the lead early in the second when he headed in a pass from Alex Taylor, but the Rams tied it with just over five minutes to play on a corner kick.