Taylor, Endress claim first place at speech meet

15 B-A students earn ribbons in impressive showing

Mikala McCracken

CalyAnne Taylor (left) and Riley Endress took home first-place ribbons at the most recent junior high speech meet.

Emily Dively, Staff Writer

Courtesy Photo
The junior high speech team is off to a hot start this year after its first two meets.

Two Bellwood-Antis freshman placed first at the junior high forensic league meet last Thursday in Somerset.

CayleeAnne Taylor took first in the poetry category, while Riley Endress took first in persuasive.

I worked to improve my speech and felt I had done a good job.

— CalyAnne Taylor

“I am so proud to be part of the B-A Speech Team. I worked to improve my speech and felt I had done a good job,” CayleeAnne said.

Other ninth graders placed along with CalyAnne and Riley. Haley Campbell placed third in poetry, Caroline Nagle placed fifth in prose and Alexandra Diamond placed seventh in drama.

“This was fun. I’m psyched to get the high school season started,” Haley said.

Among B-A Middle School contestants, Sarah Berkowitz placed second in persuasive, Emma Corrado and Zach Amato took third and sixth place in impromptu, Raela Zuiker and Jayce Miller took third and seventh in prose, Lucy Wilson and Lydia Worthing took fourth and sixth place in drama, Caedon Poe and Ethan Brown took fourth place in duo and Olivia Gregg placed fifth in poetry.

“I am so proud everyone for their hard work and enthusiasm at the meet. I am looking forward to seeing the team improve their performances even more before the final junior high meet in two weeks,” said advisor Mrs. Alyssa Cunningham, who leads the team along with Mrs. Kathy Taylor.

The high school speech team, which features many of the freshman on the junior high team, will be in action Thursday at Penn Cambria.