Volleyball suffers loss in first round of playoffs

Lady Devils eliminated by No. 9 Ligonier Valley

Olivia Stetter

Sophomore Bella Kies and the rest of the B-A volleyball team saw their season come to an end against Ligonier Valley.

Sidney Patterson, Editor in Chief

The Bellwood-Antis Lady Blue Devil volleyball team took a hard fall last night to Ligonier Valley at the Bellwood-Antis gymnasium, eliminating the team  from the District 6 2A playoff bracket.

Playing without starter Sakeria Haralson, the Lady Devils fell to the Lady Rams 3 sets to 1.

The Blue Devils, seeded eighth, started off strong and had won the first set. However, the No. 9 Lady Rams came back to win two more, before blowing it open in the fourth set, 6-25, taking the win out from under B-A.

“We had a lot of confidence in the beginning,” said sophomore Bella Kies. “It was different from other games because it was a playoff. By the second set, I think we got into our own heads when we started making mistakes.”

Despite the loss, Senior Kamryn Mercer took the most kills, sending nine balls over to Ligonier Valley that would go untouched.

Junior Kaelynn Behrens also had a notable game in her first varsity start, acquiring seven service points for the Lady Blue Devils.

The final scores of each set are as follows: 25-15, 14-25, 24-26, 6-25.

The Lady Blue Devils finished the 2017 season with a record of 15-4.