B-A sends 10 to Junior High County Band

Courtesy photo

Ten students from Bellwood-Antis participated in Junior High County Band at Tyrone Area High School.

Riley Miller, Staff Writer

Ten outstanding Bellwood-Antis musicians attended the Junior High County Band Festival at Tyrone High School on Monday, January 29 and Tuesday, January 30.

The list of students included: middle school students, Emma Corrado, Reghan Hostler, Raela Zuiker, Sarah Berkowitz, and high school students, Noah Patton, Logan Mock, Leah Farber, Halee Cassidy, Josiah Turk, and Andy Miller.

These events are both musical and great social experiences.

— Mr. Sachse

The director of Bands at Messiah College Jim Colanna conducted the musicians for two days and, as Bellwood-Antis Band Director Mr. Patrick Sachse stated, “The students had a fantastic time working with him, and they put on a fantastic concert.  Personally, I was equally excited to see students branching out and making new friends.  These events are both musical and great social experiences.”

The group performed five musical arrangements, including the “America Forever March,” which was special for several reasons, according to Mr. Sachse.

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

“The concert march was written by Dr. Colonna’s grandfather on the evening Pearl Harbor was bombed.  Each melody in the march represented a different member of the family, who were Italian immigrants and were not treated welcomingly by the community.  The composer wanted this piece to demonstrate his family’s love and support for their new country and home.  Although his grandfather passed away exactly one year before Dr. Colonna was born, he was honored to have his grandfather’s piece published last year and to have Blair County students to perform it.”

The remainder of the program included “Festival of Flight,” “Amen!” “Evening Song,” and “Apples.”