Lady Devils to play Chartiers-Houston

%28Kerry+Naylor%29

(Kerry Naylor)

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

The Bellwood-Antis Blue Devils have made it down to the top eight 2A teams in the state and they are set to play tonight at Greater Johnstown High School at 6:00 p.m.

Chartiers-Houston is their opponent, the winner of the famed WPIAL that tends to dominate the rural schools. The Buccaneers will have to try to stop BA’s star point guard Alli Campbell who is having an extraordinary season. She’s averaging 26.3 points per game, 5.3 assists per game, 8.3 rebounds per game, 4.4 steals a game, and 1.8 blocks per game.

Campbell’s been under a microscope all year and she hasn’t cracked under the pressure. With all the attention from Division 1 colleges and all the pressure from the community she still goes out and plays her own game, she isn’t trying to play up to the next level to impress anyone or show off for any coaches or scouts. She plays within herself and gets the job done.

BA will rely on her composure in these late games in the season to continue playing within the offense because she is the offense, she brings the ball up the floor and creates open shots for teammates by pulling double teams or weak side help in the paint. When Campbell gets this penetration into the key and kicks out to one of the many talented deep ball shooters the offense is deadly, averaging 7.1 threes a game.

Chartiers-Houston will be leaning on the efforts of Senior Alexa Williamson, a 6 foot 2 inch commit to Temple. Williamson is going into playoff Micheal Jordan mode averaging about forty points per game in the state playoffs which includes a 51 point performance in the first round. She will look to get the ball down in the paint and use her touch to score and get fouls. Sophomore Sakeria Haralson

Exactly one year ago from today Bellwood-Antis took down the Buccaneers by fourteen points in the sweet sixteen and they hope to do the same tonight. Bellwood-Antis did it with three point shooting and a full court press, the Devils forced the Bucs into 28 turnovers.

There will be a student fan bus if enough students pay the mere three dollars to attend the game, the money will be due by 10:00 a.m. Please come out and support your Lady Blue Devils tonight as they try to advance to the Final Four.