Hannah Hornberger is representing B-A at North Allegheny

Mikala McCracken

Hannah Hornberger will represent B-A at the annual CHS Public Forum in Pittsburgh.

Julianna Norris, Copy/Page Editor

On April 26, the CHS Argument and Rhetoric class will be traveling to North Allegheny in Pittsburgh to watch Hannah Hornberger participate in a public forum debate.

Riley Miller
Senior Hannah Hornberger was selected by teachers at Pitt to represent B-A at the annual public forum debate at North Alegany High School.

Hannah, a senior in the CHS Argument and Rhetoric class, was chosen to represent Bellwood-Antis at the University of Pittsburgh public forum debate after a tape of a school wide debate was sent to Pittsburgh in March. Only one arguer from each school participating in the College in High School class is chosen to debate.

I’ve been working very hard to make myself a better debater for years and I am thrilled to be able to represent B-A doing something I love and am good at.

— Hannah Hornberger

There are 17 schools participating in the University of Pittsburgh public forum debate this year. All of the schools participating were required to hold a semester of debates based on a common theme before the competition. This year’s theme for the public forum debate was artificial intelligence.

Hannah is excited that she has been chose to represent Bellwood-Antis, and says that it means a lot to her to be able to have such an opportunity.

“It definitely means a lot to me. I’ve been working very hard to make myself a better debater for years and I am thrilled to be able to represent B-A doing something I love and am good at,” said Hannah.

Mr. Kerry Naylor, the teacher of the CHS Argument and Rhetoric class, says he knew Hannah had what it took to make it this far from the very beginning.

“Hannah has always been an amazing speaker. She is one of those kids who you knew early on would be in the running for something like this if she took CHS as a senior. She is a tremendous speaker, but she puts in the work. She is always prepared,” states Mr. Naylor.

While Hannah is a talented speaker, she and the rest of the CHS Argument and Rhetoric class have had quite a bit of debate practice. According to Mr. Naylor, the current CHS class is the first he instructed in debate during their freshman year, and they have been practicing debating since then, as well.

“This entire senior class of CHS debaters has bean a real joy to teach. It is also the first group of kids I began to instruct in debate as freshman,” said Mr. Naylor.

Good luck to Hannah as she goes to compete in the University of Pittsburgh public forum debate onĀ  April 26!