Devils fall again to Mount Union

Denise Showalter

Travis Luensmann collects himself after a conversation with catcher Jack Showalter earlier this season. Luensmann took the loss yesterday against Mount Union.

Jake Miller, Staff Writer

It may be that the Mount Union Trojans have the B-A baseball team’s number this season.

Maybe the Blue Devils just tend to make more mistakes when facing Mount Union.

Either way, the Devils’ suffered their second loss of the season yesterday to Mount Union, losing 5-4 on the road. The loss dropped the Devils’ record to 7-2 overall and 5-2 in the ICC.

Travis Luensmann took the loss for B-A. While he struck out four and allowed only four hits, Luensmann also walked six batters and had a pair of errors committed behind him.

“We just made to many mistakes to beat a good team yesterday. We were not able to hold the lead each time we got it,” said Coach Steve Conlon. “Too many walks and errors to overcome against a good team.”

The Devils allowed a pair of runs in the first inning and trailed 2-0 into the fourth before scoring a pair to tie it. They then gave the lead back in the bottom of the frame.  That began a pattern that continued the rest of the game, with the Devils working to tie the score in the top of each inning and the Trojans taking the lead right back in the bottom half, until B-A went down scoreless in the top of the seventh.

Luensmann and Troy Walker each had a pair of hits to lead the Devils, while Luensmann, Trentin Whaley and Alex Schmoke all drove in runs.

Mount Union improved to 6-2.

B-A will host Williamsburg Wednesday.

Softball drops a pair

The softball team continued to struggle, taking two on the chin in a double-header loss to Mount Union.

The Devils dropped Game 1 11-1 before falling 21-2 in Game 2.

Haley Schmidt took the pitching loss in Game 1, but the Devils couldn’t muster much offense, a double from senior Kaitlyn Knisely being one of the few highlights.

In Game 2 freshman Attie Poorman took the loss, but once again there wasn’t a lot going on for B-A at the plate. Schmidt belted a 2-run homer for B-A’s only runs.