Engle places third in the state; Gerwet medals again

Nick Lovrich

Clay Engle took home the second PIAA medal of his career by placing third in the triple jump at Shippensburg.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

The Bellwood-Antis track team placed two athletes on the medal stand at Shippensburg University for the PIAA class 2A track and field championships.

Senior Clay Engle jumped 45 feet in the triple jump to take the bronze medal. Forty-five feet  tied with Clay’s previous PR, which he jumped  at the BA Invitational in early May.

Clay was in position for a silver until the final round of jumping.

“Clay did an outstanding job at the meet.  He was a little disappointed at first that he didn’t win gold, but for him to be the third best triple jumper in the state is awesome,” said boys track and field coach Mr. Nick Lovrich. “Some people do not realize how hard it is to medal at the state track meet.  Our state has so many great athletes that is takes a lot of hard work and dedication to reach that goal.  This is something that Clay will always remember.  He has not one, but two state medals.  I am very proud of what he has accomplished this season!”

Lexi Gerwert took home a seventh place medal in the pole vault, clearing a height of eleven feet. It was disappointing for Gerwert, who took home a silver medal from Shippensburg last year.

Morgan Gossard of Richland, who beat Gerwert at the District 6 meet, took first, clearing a height of 12 feet. Gerwert was one of six girls to stop at 11 feet in the finals, but her scratch record dropped her from bronze to a seventh-place tie.

“I am blessed to have qualified for the state meet all four years of high school,” said Gerwert. “I wish I had a little more time to prove myself.”

Gerwert, who will continue her career next year at Lock Haven University, finishes with two PIAA medals and the girls record at B-A. All that after undergoing back surgery between her freshman and sophomore seasons.

“I’ve got to say thanks to Body First Chiropractic and Chris Riddle,” she said. “He fixed my back after every meet.”

Tanner Worthing ran a 52.66 in the 400 meter dash and came in 16th, while the 4 x 400 team was unable to place inside of the top eight, running a 3:41 in prelims.

Shawn Wolfe also bowed out in the trials, running a 23.83 in the 200.