ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Owen Shaulis

Kerry Naylor

Owen Shaulis is set to begin his senior season on the varsity soccer team.

Corbin Nale, Staff Writer

Senior Owen Shaulis began his soccer career when he was just a five-year old youngster.

He was inspired by his two older sisters, who were playing soccer at the time, as well as his father being the coach of their team.

“I was around the game a lot,” Shaulis said.

Enjoying the sport developing friendships is what gets Owen  coming back to play each year for the Tyrone-Bellwood-Antis soccer team, which opens its season today on the road against Clearfield.

“I enjoy playing with all of my friends each year,” he said.

Shaulis is upbeat about this year’s team.

“I think we have a really good team,” said Shaulis. “The team is looking good this year and had a great match against Punxsutawney in preseason.” He said “the team is solid this year,” with depth and a lot of skilled players to pull of the bench.

Shaulis plays a center-midfield position and has done a great job at that position.

“I like being involved in the game and get to be a part of almost every play” said Shaulis. He can also play many more positions than just center-midfield and do a great job. Shaulis always gives the 110% in every game and practice.

When not playing for the high school team, Shaulis also plays in an indoor league with a lot of the players from the high school team, and he is a fanatical supporter of Pittsburgh sports teams. He was also a member of the Martin Oil baseball team that won the George B. Kelley Federation League championship this summer.