B-A teachers receive Stop The Bleed training

Malia Danish

Stop the Bleed kits are located in every BASD building.

Connor Gibbons, Staff Writer

Stop the Bleed is a national awareness campaign and call-to-action. It is intended to cultivate grassroots efforts that encourage bystanders to become trained, equipped, an empowered to help in a bleeding emergency before professional help arrives.

As part of their Augist in-service, all teachers in the Bellwood-Antis School District received Stop the Bleed training.

High School Principal Mr. Richard Schreier said there are several kits around the school that are accessible on all floors on each building.

“Smaller kits were giving to all the teachers. The teachers learned to stop blood loss as a result of traumatic injuries with methods that include tourniquets and direct pressure,”Mr Schreier said.

School nurse Mrs. Kelly Hoover said every classroom has a smaller version of a kit.

“(The teachers) are ready, but the most important thing to remember is to stay calm and then react,” Mrs. Hoover said.

High school teacher Mr. Matthew Elder said, “It was definitely an important thing to learn. You hope you never have to use the training, but if you do you will hopefully be able to do something positive.”

Mr. Eder said he learned “that you can fit a whole lot of gauge/quick clot in a person’s wound. I’d been trained in similar things before, but to get a reference and see new methods and equipment was helpful.”