Dream come true

File photo

Sakeria Haralson verbally committed to Monmouth over the summer.

Troy Walker, Staff Writer

Giving a verbal commitment to play Division I college basketball was a dream come true for B-A junior Sakeria Haraslon.

“It’s the key to beginning my future, signing to play in college is everything,” said the star forward when asked about commiting to play college basketball.

Sakeria gave a verbal commitment to further her basketball and academic career at the University of Monmouth in West Long Branch New Jersey over the summer.

Sakeria is in her junior year, coming off an outstanding sophomore season where she helped lead B-A to its first state title, averaging 12.4 points, 10.3 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game.

She is one  of two Lady Blue Devils to commit this year, the other being junior guard Alli Campbell, who will be attending the University of Notre Dame.

Sakeria will be playing for coach Jody Craig’s Lady Hawks in the winter of 2021, and they are getting a good one.

“It is nice that both Alli and Sakeria have made their college choices.  Monmouth and Notre Dame are getting great student athletes,” said Bellwood-Antis coach Jim Swaney.

“This is something they have both worked very hard for and I could not be happier with the choices.”

Some student athletes do not like commit early, but for Sakeria is was relieving to get it out of the way.

“It is a huge relief. Now I can focus on my studies and sharpen my basketball skills to get ready for college,” she said.

Many things played a major role in Sakeria’s decision. Monmouth had everything she wanted and needed.

“It’s a smaller college, a more family feel, and the best thing is I’ll have more time to come back home to visit,” said Sakeria.