B-A band purchases a sousaphone

Josiah+Turk+tries+out+his+new+sousaphone.+

Ali Wagner

Josiah Turk tries out his new sousaphone.

Ashlyn Ball, Staff Writer

Have you ever heard of an instrument called a Sousaphone?  Many haven’t but it’s an important piece for a marching band looking for a big sound. The Bellwood-Antis band recently just bought one for about $3,600, the instrument was purchased through band boosters.

“A sousaphone is similar to a tuba except for it wraps around the body, is easy to march with and has a much wider and more spread sound” Mr. Sachse explains.  The sousaphone can be about 25 pounds or less and the average height is 18 inches!  Apparently, this is also first time the school has ever purchased this type of tuba.

The school decided to purchase the instrument because the older tubas that we own were very beat up, but it was just “normal wear and tear”.

When asked if he personally thinks the sousaphone will overall improve the sound of the band, he jokes and says “Yes, working instruments tend to do that”.

“We are excited that Josiah Turk is the one who will be playing the new instrument” Mr.Sachse adds as a final side note.

Josiah Turk, a sophomore who will be playing the instrument,  is also “extremely excited” to be playing the instrument.  He comments, ” I love low sounds and last year I wanted to do tuba, but Lara Hall was so doing it so Mr. Sachse said maybe this year”.

They plan to use the sousaphone for the first time at this week’s game.