B-A teachers union food drive overwhelmingly successful

Courtesy photo

The BAEA collected more than 500 cans and boxes of food with its annual food drive.

Ashlyn Ball, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis teachers’ union, the Bellwood-Antis Education Association (BAEA) sponsored a food drive before Thanksgiving to support a local cause and a total of 555 cans and boxes of food were collected.

All fifth grade to twelfth grade homerooms were encouraged to bring in nonperishable food items over a two-week period.  The two homerooms that brought in the most, in both the high school and middle school, were awarded with an ice-cream or pizza party their choice.

The homerooms that won the contest were the fifth grade homeroom of Mrs. Ruda Burns, who also won last year, and Mrs. Dawn Frank in eleventh grade.

Also on November 13, BAEA sponsored a paid Jeans Day for teachers, which raised a total of $315.

The food and the money were donated yo the Bellwood Council of Churches food drive and St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry.

BAEA President Patrick Sachse  said, “We thought this was a great opportunity to make a positive difference outside our classroom, and help inspire our students to think about other’s needs.”

Courtesy photo
BAEA donated all of its collection to the Bellwood Council of Churches and the St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry.