Blue Devils looking for scoring as season opens

Jake Miller

B-A’s top sixth man in 2017-2018, Mason Yingling will be the focal point of the Devils’ offense this season.

Anson Jones, Sports Editor

Basketball season is upon us, one of most competitive and well-known sporting events at Bellwood-Antis.

The Devils went 17-6 in the 2017-18 season, but the boys have lost their top starting three from last year in Clay Engle, Trent walker, and Tanner Worthing.  This year Bellwood’s biggest task is going to be trying to find the man who is going to lead the boys in scoring.

Walker, Engle, and Worthing had a total of 1,020 points, 68% of the blue devils points last year. It is going to be very hard to have someone step up and replace those scoring players.

This year, Bellwood has a total of five seniors in  TJ Wyland, Nathan Wolfe, Alex Frederick, Mason Yingling, and CJ Moss. Three – Wolfe, Yingling, and Wyland –  will be in the starting lineup.

Wyland and Wolfe are returning starters from last year. Wolfe average 7.6 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.  Wyland averaged 3.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.

Senior Mason Yingling will be getting his first starting experience this season. A year ago he came off the bench averaging7 points per game.

Sophomore Zach Mallon and Junior Troy Walker are going to be key underclassmen. Walker played in 17 games last season.

The Devils open their season Friday night in Tyrone with a game against the Golden Eagles.