B-A art students enter Vans shoe design contest

Project has a top prize of $75,000

Kaelynn Behrens

Students can get an entry form for the Vans Custom Design contest outside the main office.

Alex Frederick, Staff Writer

For the first time ever, Bellwood-Antis has been chosen to participate in a special shoe design contest that could bring the school a grand prize of $75,000 for the art department.

It’s all a part of the Vans Custom Design Competition, where students submit designs for the trendy skater shoes in order to win prizes.

Other awards for the top prize winners include BBQ, several activities, games, a special guest music performance, 20 pairs of shoes, and Journey’s gift vouchers.

The 4 runner-up prizes include a $10,000 donation to the art department, 20 art packs of merchandise, and Journey’s gift cards.

The school is 1 out of 500 schools across the country to qualify. To qualify for the contest, the art program has submitted socioeconomic statistics about the district and wrote essay’s describing the art curriculum and how budget cuts impact their program.

This isn’t the first time that Bellwood has tried to participate in the Vans Custom Culture Competition, according to art teacher Mrs. Leah McNaul.

“After a few year’s of (trying), we finally are 1 in 500 schools across the country to participate,” she said.

The contest is open to any student, and entry forms and design sheets are available outside of the high school main office. However, Mrs. McNaul has her art students using the contest to further their study of art.

“We are exploring unexpecting materials, textures, image ideas and how we can manipulate the elements and principles of design of design to captivate the judges,” said Mrs. McNaul.

Design ideas are due by Friday, March 1.