Lady Devils travel to Valley for ICC showdown

Zach MIller

B-A beat Juniata Valley by four earlier this season and travels to Alexandria for the rematch tonight.

Troy Walker, Sports Editor

The back-to-back PIAA 2A defending state champs, the Bellwood-Antis Lady Blue Devils, are eyeing a third straight state title, and in the wake of what has been an absolutely dominant season stands one team trying to knock B-A off its pedestal.

Tonight, the undefeated Lady Blue Devils(16-0)  will travel to Juniata Valley (13-2)  for what has been one of the most highly anticipated match-ups in the entire state over the last three years.

“(B-A players) Sakeria (Haralson) and Emilee (Leidig) play AAU with Halee (Smith) and they’re friends. Also, they haven’t beaten us often, so a big goal for them to beat us,” said B-A senior Macy Decker.

In 2017 and 2018, the Lady Hornets fell one step short, losing in two consecutive state title games before bowing out early in the second round of the state playoffs to West Middlesex last season.

Like Bellwood, the Lady Hornets expectations are seemingly through the roof, as they come in to the match up with only two losses, one  by the hands of Bellwood in the first week of January by a score of 62-58.

Freshman Chelsea McCaulsky played significant minutes for B-A in the last match up, and for her this games means a little something more.

“It’s definitely one of our most competitive games.  I came in last time and the nerves were there, but when the game starts you know its time to focus, and it all goes away.” said Chelsea.

The match up contains two McDonald’s All American nominees in B-A’s Alli Campbell (Notre Dame), who is averaging 30 points per game, and JV’s Halee Smith (Quinnipiac), with a 21 point per game average this season.

A all but assures the Lady Devils of the ICC North championship and a spot in next month’s ICC championship game.

“If we don’t win might not play in the ICC game, which we’ve played in for the past however many years. Pretty much everything we have worked for is on the line tonight if they beat us by five,” said Decker.